Effective Date: March 18, 2013; Revised: April 10, 2023
Photography or video recording in the library is generally permitted if it is for library promotion, a student project, or strictly for personal use. In order to protect the rights of individual patrons and to reduce distractions, photographing and video recording on library property is restricted as follows:
• Under no circumstances may the public or members of the media take photographs or record video without the express permission of any library patron or staff member who would be prominently included within the composition. Taking photographs or video recording of a minor, an individual under the age of 18, requires the permission of the minor’s parent or guardian. The library undertakes no responsibility for obtaining these releases.
• Photography or video recording for commercial purposes is not permitted without approval by the Director or the Director’s designee; such approval must be requested in writing and in advance.
• Community organizations holding scheduled events or meetings in the library study or meeting rooms may arrange for their own photography or video/ recording of their event. Such photography and video recording is restricted to the space reserved by the group, and the group is responsible for any necessary releases and permissions.
• Library staff often take pictures or record videos at library events to use in library publicity materials and on the library’s website or other social media outlets. The library reserves the right to document its services and the public’s use of the library. Official representatives of the library may take photographs, video record or use other recording devices within the library and at library-related events and activities for library purposes. These photographs and video may be copied, displayed, published (including on the library’s website or other social media outlets), and telecast for such purposes as promotion, publicity, and news to inform the public about the library. All such photography/video recording will be in accordance with library procedures.
• This policy extends to photographs and filming by library staff at Friends of the Library events and at library booths and programs at public events in the community.
• Photography, video recording or use of other recording devices may not interfere with the provision of library services. Staff will terminate any photography, video or audio recording session that appears to compromise public safety or security.